Elder Abuse Attorney
Signs of Elder Neglect and Abuse
Southern California’s Elder Abuse Lawyer
“After many years defending corporate owners of nursing homes, I decided I would rather help protect those who cannot protect themselves… My experience makes me uniquely qualified to represent these individuals and their families at the level they deserve.”
Common Signs of Elder Neglect/Abuse
Family members are often the first to recognize elder neglect or abuse.
Signs and symptoms of neglect include but are not limited to:
- dehydration, malnutrition, untreated bed sores, and poor personal hygiene
- unattended or untreated health problems
- hazardous or unsafe living condition/arrangements (e.g., improper wiring, no heat, or no running water)
- unsanitary and unclean living conditions (e.g. dirt, fleas, lice on person, soiled bedding, fecal/urine smell, inadequate clothing)
- an elder’s report of being mistreated
Signs and symptoms of physical abuse include but are not limited to:
- bruises, black eyes, welts, lacerations, and rope marks
- bone fractures, broken bones, and skull fractures
- open wounds, cuts, punctures, untreated injuries in various stages of healing
- sprains, dislocations, and internal injuries/bleeding
- broken eyeglasses/frames, physical signs of being subjected to punishment, and signs of being restrained
- laboratory findings of medication overdose or under utilization of prescribed drugs
- an elder’s report of being hit, slapped, kicked, or mistreated
- an elder’s sudden change in behavior
- caregiver’s refusal to allow visitors to see an elder alone
A Heartfelt Thank You to Ray.
I contacted Ray Lewis after my Mother died after a fall in rehabilitation center of which she was a patient. This was a very emotional time for me. Ray was very understanding and helpful. He was reassuring and worked very hard on this case. Ray let me know of any correspondence from the opposing attorney and of any movement on the case. Even though Ray was very busy with other cases, he always returned my calls and answered all of my questions, even the dumb ones. He settled the case for more than I ever expected. I cannot find the words to let Ray know how much I appreciated everything he did for me. Thank You so very much, Ray for all you did for me.